Yield: 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves (stems discarded)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- Combine basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add ½ cup of the oil and process until fully blended smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- If using immediately, add remaining oil and process, then remove to a bowl and stir in cheese.
- If freezing for later use, transfer to an airtight container and drizzle remaining oil on top. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and stir in cheese when ready to use.