Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Yield: 18 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 9 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 pounds cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, and mix in the flour. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Mix in the chicken stock and milk, and season with salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the broccoli in the boiling water, and cook 2 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- Gradually mix the Cheddar cheese into the large pot until melted. Mix in the broccoli. Continue cooking about 5 minutes.