Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 4-6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving dish.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and add flour. Whisk to make a smooth paste (known as a roux) cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes until the roux is slightly golden and toasty. Add milk and whisk well to prevent lumps. Heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches a boil and thickens. Turn heat to low. Add cheese and stir occasionally until fully melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top broccoli with cheese sauce, and sprinkle with extra shredded cheese if desired.