Yield: approximately 1 quart
Prep Time: 30 minutes (plus overnight to chill)
Total Time:1 hour (plus overnight to chill)
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- tiny pinch salt
- To prepare melon: Cut in half and discard seeds and pulp and carefully remove rind. Cube melon and place into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- Make a simple syrup by combining sugar, water and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Strain out lemon zest once cooled (about 10 minutes).
- Combine simple syrup, lemon juice, corn syrup and salt with the pureed melon. Stir well and cover with plastic wrap. Chill overnight in refrigerator (chilling improves flavor and helps the mixture to freeze evenly)
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve immediately as soft serve sorbet, or place in freezer to harden.