Ginger Poached Pink Grapefruit
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Ready In: 15 mins
- 3 large pink grapefruits
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- One 4-inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced and gently smashed
- 1 whole star anise pod
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons finely diced crystallized ginger (optional)
- Plain whole-milk yogurt, for serving
- Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruits, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over a bowl, cut in between the membranes, releasing the sections into the bowl. Squeeze the juice from the membranes into the bowl.
- In a skillet, combine the water, sugar, ginger, star anise, clove and vanilla bean and bring to a boil, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer over moderate heat until the syrup is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove the ginger, star anise, clove and vanilla.
- Add the grapefruit and juice to the skillet and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the grapefruit to a serving bowl. Simmer the syrup over moderate heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes. Pour the syrup over the grapefruit and garnish with the crystallized ginger. Serve warm or at room temperature, with yogurt.