Maque Choux (Sautéed Corn and Tomatoes)
Yield: 2-3 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced, green tops reserved
- 1 rib celery, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup heavy cream (fat-free half & half can be substituted)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- Cut corn from the cob, reserving cobs. Scrape cobs into a large bowl to get all of the starchy ‘corn milk.’
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper and sauté until tender, 5-8 minutes.
- Add corn, tomatoes, cream, thyme and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add reserved green onion tops and serve.
For a variation: Try adding shrimp or crawfish in the last few minutes, or add chicken as you saute the veggies.