Persimmon Upside Down Cake
Yield: 1 8 inch cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons
- ½ stick butter, softened plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 3 Fuyu persimmons
- 1 cup fresh dates, pitted and chopped
- Slice 2 persimmons into ¼ inch slices, and chop the third.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 2Tbs butter and brown sugar and melt until caramelized. Pour the mixture into your round cake pan, and lay the persimmon slices into the sugar. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and milk and mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl with a whisk, then add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until incorporated.
- Add the dates and chopped persimmon and gently combine.
- Pour batter over the persimmons in the cake pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes, until baked through.
- With a thin, sharp knife, separate the cake from the edge of the pan. Lay a plate or platter over the cake pan and using oven mitts; carefully invert the cake onto the plate.
- Let cool and serve!