Potato and Fennel Hash
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, with tops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds red potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Cut fennel into ½ inch cubes (you need about 3 ¾ cups). Finely chop enough of the feathery fronds (tops) to measure ¼ cup. Cook fennel in a pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cut potatoes into ½ to ¾ inch cubes and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook until golden and crisp, turning often, about 20 minutes. Using a potato masher or spatula, crush potatoes slightly in skillet.
- Add fennel, garlic, salt and pepper, and cook until garlic is fragrant and fennel is golden, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in parsley and fennel fronds and serve hot.
Great with roasted meats or with eggs as a brunch dish