Red Chard with Caramelized Onions
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 bunch red Swiss chard, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- In a cast iron skillet, cook onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until they begin to brown. Stir in brown sugar, and continue cooking for a few minutes.
- When onions are brown and tender, stir in chard and olives. Cook until chard is slightly wilted. Stir in capers and salt, and continue cooking until chard is completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with black pepper and squeeze lemon over the top.