Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ (14 oz) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cube the butternut squash – about 2 cups is needed for this recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and cook the onion, ginger and garlic until onion is tender.
- Add the lentils, squash and cilantro into the pot. Add 2 cups water, coconut milk and tomato paste and mix well. Season with curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils and squash are tender.
- Blend to create a smooth soup if desired, or serve chunky for a rustic presentation.
- Serve with fried onions or your favorite garnish