Roasted Vegetable Ziti Bake
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
- 5 ounces eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/8 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5/8 medium yellow sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 teaspoon olive or canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 3/8 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/8 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/8 (16 ounce) package ziti or other small tube pasta
- 1-1/3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, combine the eggplant, red onion and yellow peppers. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until edges of peppers begin to brown, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, sugar and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In two greased 2-qt. baking dishes, spread 1/2 cup sauce each. In each dish, layer a fourth of the pasta, a fourth of the roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 2 cups spinach and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with remaining roasted vegetables, pasta and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.