Salmon and Swiss Chard Quiche
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 8 ounces salmon fillets, skin removed
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 10 inch pie plate using about 1 tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle bread crumbs into the pie dish and shake to coat evenly, discarding excess.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and warm over medium heat. Add the salmon fillets and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until salmon can be flaked with a fork.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and Swiss chard; cook and stir until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt, pepper, marjoram and nutmeg. Set aside to cool; you should have about one cup of chard and onion.
- Spread the chard mixture and flake the salmon into the prepared pie plate. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and one cup of cooled milk from poaching the salmon. Pour into the pie dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the center is set. Cool slightly before serving.