Smothered Yellow Squash with Basil
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 pounds yellow squash, halved and cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking. Add half of the squash and sauté, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer browned squash to a bowl, then heat remaining oil and sauté remaining squash in the same manner. Return squash to the pan and add garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute. Add water, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, until squash is tender and most of liquid is evaporated, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- Serve immediately.