Southern Collard Greens
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 10 mins
Ready In: 1.5 hrs
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 pounds ham hocks (optional)
- 4 pounds collard greens, rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water and the ham hock in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and simmer covered for 30 minutes. If not using ham hocks, just bring the water to a boil and add 1 tsp salt.
- Add the collards, vinegar and the hot pepper flakes the pot. Simmer covered for about 45 min, stirring occasionally. Note: If you have too many collards to fit into the pot all at once, put some in and let them wilt in the hot water for a few minutes before adding more.
- Add the vegetable oil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.