Spring Baby Braised Greens
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- Approximately 1 pound baby braising greens
- ½ medium onion, any type, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, or more to your taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine vinegar (optional)
- Wash greens in cold water carefully to remove all sand and grit. Dry in salad spinner or in a clean kitchen towel, but leave some water clinging to the leaves. Rip into bite sized pieces and remove any large stems (smaller tender stems can be left intact)
- In a large saucepan melt butter and sauté onion over medium heat for 5 – 10 minutes until lightly browned. Add garlic and sauté briefly with onion and butter. Add greens and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until the greens are evenly wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and to check for doneness. If greens are not as tender as you like, add ¼ to ½ cup water, cover with a lid and cook for another 5-10 minutes, checking and stirring every few minutes.
- Sprinkle with optional vinegar and serve!
- This recipe can also be prepared simply with butter, salt and pepper and greens, omitting onions and garlic.