Steamed Mussels with Tomatoes, Fennel, Ouzo, and Cream
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 5 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel - trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Pint Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup ouzo
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallots and garlic, and cook until tender. Stir in fennel and tomatoes, and continue cooking about 5 minutes.
- Mix white wine, ouzo, and heavy cream into the saucepan, and bring to a boil. Gradually stir in mussels, 1/2 the basil, and salt.
- Cover saucepan, and continue cooking about 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Garnish with remaining basil to serve.