Yield: 3 servings
Prep time: 25 mins
Ready In: 60 mins
- 3 whole artichokes
- 1.5 slices Italian bread, cubed
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp cup grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Snip the pointed tips of artichoke leaves, and cut off the stems. Wash and drain. Holding artichoke firmly by base, firmly rap the top of it on a hard surface; this will open it so it can be stuffed.
- In a medium bowl combine bread cubes, garlic, parsley, Romano cheese, oregano, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Press about 1/2 cup of stuffing into each artichoke. Tightly pack stuffed artichokes together in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Add enough water to reach half way up artichokes and add 3 tablespoons oil.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until leaves pull out easily.