Sweet Vidalia Onion Pie
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 ½ cups cracker crumbs or bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Plus 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced Vidalia onions
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cracker or bread crumbs and 1/3 cup melted butter. Press mixture firmly into a 9 inch pie pan and set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; add 2 tablespoons remaining butter and onions. Sauté until tender but not browned. Spread evenly over prepared crust.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over onions, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until center is set. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.